Institute of the Arts and Sciences
UC Santa Cruz’s history of bringing together scholars in seemingly disparate disciplines has led to one of its most innovative endeavors to date–an institute dedicated to exploring the intersection of art and science. Through unexpected partnerships and exhibitions, the institute will foster the collaborative work and exploration of contemporary issues for which UC Santa Cruz is known. Our goals:
Produce mind-expanding, idea-provoking exhibitions
Visitors from throughout California and the world will encounter the vital questions that faculty and students grapple with in studios, laboratories, classrooms, and scholarship. Exhibitions and publications will draw on research at UC Santa Cruz and throughout the University of California.
Establish a vibrant center for collaboration across disciplines
The institute is a resource for gathering and experiencing a distilled vision of what makes UC Santa Cruz unique. Bringing thinkers together across disciplines is one of our core strengths.
Create a space that inspires creativity and learning
The Institute’s design emphasizes sustainable design principles, respect for the land, functionality, transparency, and natural light. The design by Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects includes exhibition spaces, studios, public commons, and state-of-the-art digital equipment.
Educate and launch generations of the future
Students will learn from exhibitions and from faculty-initiated curriculum. They will gain valuable pre-professional experience as graduate and undergraduate interns, fellows, and work-study students who assist with curatorial projects, education programs, and public events.
Visit the Institute of the Arts and Sciences website.
Read about the institute in the news:
- Warhol Foundation grant goes to Institute of the Arts and Sciences project
- Institute of Arts and Sciences to host first LASER talk of the year
- Astrophysics meets theater in ‘Birth of Stars’
- Institute of Arts and Sciences offers LASER talk on Oct. 28
- UC Santa Cruz selects acclaimed New York firm to design Institute of Art and Sciences
- Blurring the Lines: The Institute of the Arts and Sciences promises to explore unexpected convergences, provocative subjects
- UC Santa Cruz taps Tang Museum director to lead innovative museum project